Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Happy Tamil New Year and Vishu!

.. to all out there. Here is an intro to the festival...

Tamil New Year and Vishu(Malayalam New Year) fall on the same day April 14. Even Punjab celebrates New Year on this day(Baisakhi). In Kerala they do "Vishukani" on this day, "Kani", meaning the first thing that you see, ofcourse on "Vishu", hence the term. Because of the Kerala origin and Tamil Nadu influence back home we celebrated both. On this day early in the morning we will go straight to the puja room and see the arrangement of all things like - money, holy text, gold, new clothes, fruits and flowers. Then we will have oil bath (hair wash with a pre application of oil on the head), dress up in new clothes and do all the prayers. Later we will get to eat nice payasam, vada and other delicious home made multi-course meal :). It is a Holiday so no school!!!

I was not planning on making anything grand for this day, with all the project issues and my lack of sleep I did not even get a chance to do my grocery shopping for this week. But then 2 days back I was thinking about the Pongal celebration in January and all the other festivals that I enjoyed last year and so wanted to have nice vada and payasam, for these I had the necessary ingredients at home. So in the night I kept all the above said "Kani" items in the puja table. I woke up early in the morning and did the "Kani", with that enthusiasm I made ulundhu vadai (urad dal), Kadalai paruppu payasam (channa dal kheer), Paruppu (Toor Dal tadka), Vendakai Mor Kuzhambu (okra- buttermilk curry), sakarai valli kizhangu poriyal (steamed sweet potato). It is not much but I loved it all :), took some to office as well.

Hope you had a wonderful day as well :)

4 comments:

  1. Happy Vishu. Happy New Year.

    Miga Iniya thamizh puthaandu nalvaazhthukkal. :)

    So much you've done and you say its not much.. Probably for our standards, but then with so much to eat your head its nice you took time to celebrate the year.

    I am sure you will have a grand and blessed year ahead,

    Love,
    Dew

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dew :) well compared to what my mom used to make in India I say it is nothing ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New year to you too...Wishing you a very happy, prosperous and fun filled year ahead...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Sailaja, always nice to hear from you :)

    ReplyDelete