Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Has the Technology really Advanced?

Today I was contemplating on this. With so much of scientific advancement and technology innovations still only a pocket of the business really uses them all. May be it is still expensive for most businesses or may be they are happy and accustomed to the old way of doing things. Sometimes it could just be the worry on ROI. The following incident is what made me think about it.

I called the customer service of UPS to hold a package. The Customer Service Representative (CSR) tells me that it’s done and someone from the location that holds the package will call me on the pick up timing with in the hour. After waiting for over an hour I called them back. This time a new CSR picks up, she reads out a note for this package "Unable to contact or leave a message to the pick up location". Then she tells me that she will try to leave a message and they will contact me again and I should be able to pick it up by that day. It was 8:00 pm, I got skeptical and asked her what is the closing time of the location, she tells me 7:00 pm (Ah!!! please commonsense people). After trying every possible way to make her understand that it is not humanly possible that I can pick it up that day because of the timings I gave up! I had to hang the phone and stop myself from screaming at her.

The next day I decided to stick the info notice to my door and on my way to work gave them a call around 8:30 am. Again a new CSR picks up and after listening to the situation for 2 mins she agrees to remove the hold and have it delivered, but tells me it will be delivered only the following day. I was like "What the heck?” Surprisingly she tells me there is no way she could directly contact the location or can give me a phone number and has to leave a message. Also she says in this case they will take one day to process at the minimum. I was like "WOW!!!” no use just told her the whole process totally sucks and she says "Have a nice day!" and hangs up. Would I? Now I have to go to this location and pick up anyways.

This is when I started wondering. UPS is one of the established companies in US, but even they do not communicate properly and do not use the technology in any useful way. So what could have been done... 
  1. The CSR who handled it first could have called me back (ofcourse I gave the number) and explained the situation and removed the hold.  
  2. The communication between the CSRs and the Location that handles the packages could have been much better - using e-mails, internal messages, even a phone would have worked.
  3. More options like canceling the hold would make the package go back into the delivery queue immediately etc.,
  4. Each time a new CSR picks up its hard to explain the whole thing again, wouldn't it be easier if the previous person leaves a note? 
Ironically, in my case a company that delivers posts (also a form of communication) has a bad communication network within. Hope they realize it before diminishing in the competitive market!

2 comments:

  1. The big problem is that the customer services are probably located in locations like Bangalore (which explains call center culture in our country) and the company is in the US. And like you've pointed out the communication between them is next to nothing. The worst thing that happens is when you are midway through explaining something or worse, almost done, the call gets disconencted and you have to start over and redo the whole business with someone else. Almost makes the purpose of your call so-not-worth-it. Incidentally, I have grumbled about this on my blog a few times and even wrote one of my first ever posts on this - http://jollyjaya.blogspot.com/2006/12/toll-free-calls.html.

    Hope you got your package!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just read that one... phew! when the line gets cut in the middle I just loose it, which I later laugh about :)

    ReplyDelete