Sunday, May 17, 2009

Not a Drug, just a Pain Killer!

Recently there is a lot of talk about marijuana and other drugs that Americans are getting addicted to. A lot of news and debates are around this. Last week in CNN there was a controversial debate on whether it is OK to make this legal and the consequences of it. With all that said I think there are other allowed legal options to get addicted than marijuana in the States. Why would I say that?

Few days back I had sprained my ankle and went to the doctor near by. They examined it and told me that there is no fracture or ligament tear and it is a very bad sprain. I was prescribed an anti-inflammatory drug and a pain killer. The prescription was electronically sent to the pharmacy and I got to see the medicines only when I opened it at home. The count was shocking! I was given 90 pain killer tablets with high mgs and 60 anti-inflammatory tablets. Having one of each once a day put me to sleep for hours and even after I woke up I was so drowsy and was feeling as if everything around me was slow moving. My prescription was to have 3 a day of each. I don't know what effect that will have on me. I am dreaded even to try it.

No wonder the "Prescription Drug Addiction" is over 46% in the US. I even found some sites wondering why this is happening. I think I am clear why. It is a physician challenge some say, really? If a physician gives 15 instead of 10-12 you can say it is a challenge and it is OK, but 90(??##$$). I am sure some cry baby somewhere in the US must have definitely raised this as an issue and it will hit the media when some famous or infamous person gets addicted to this. Till then all I can say is it is better to trash the leftover.

No comments:

Post a Comment