Monday, May 11, 2009

Waiting Time

Most irritable thing for a lot of people to do is waiting. What is the fun in that? Well it depends on the situation I think. Last week in a client status meeting I was waiting along with another colleague and the client manager for my manager to arrive. It was a wait of five minutes but seemed like an hour of silence. It may not be that bad when you are waiting for a friend or a boy/girl friend. I am talking about being on the waiting side not on the coming late side. Which means you do not have a control on the situation. You are anticipating that the person you are waiting on will come any minute.

Once I waited ten minutes and left thinking there is no meeting or I must have mistaken the location. But as I was leaving people came to the meeting :). I am not trying to judge here.. but just thinking on how it feels. I have been late to meetings myself both personal and professional.. Not "fashionably" late but a few minutes and from that side it just feels alright and normal, but on those occasions where I have to wait it is not so much fun. Funny thing is this thought never hits me when I am being late. I would not say this is always the case. For certain parties and locations like the Airport, Railway Station, Townhall meeting etc., I try to be way ahead of time.

Waiting is a pleasure or a pain based on the reason and environment. If it is waiting for food in a restaurant when you are hungry it can be annoying, but when you are not hungry and with a friend you would hardly notice the wait time amidst the chatting. Two different responses for the same stimulus but the environment plays a role here. Again complicated Human brain.

2 comments:

  1. haha...u differentiated the scenarios well. bit it always better to be on proper time (waitin time is always irritatin..no comments on that :-))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comments Prabu. Keep visiting,

    ReplyDelete