Monday, January 4, 2010

New Year & Blue Moon @ the Crossroads of the World!

Last Saturday a lazy afternoon my friends were making plans for the New Year's Eve. In the TV they announced it is a blue moon day and that faintly hit my brains. I made a mental note to check on it when I have time. Then after an hour's vague discussion we finally decided the weather is not good so skiing would be a bad idea. The thought rested for 2 days. On Tuesday we gathered again to take a final poll on the New Year's Eve. Work was getting to us, its year end, we wont have holidays for another 5 months solid... so all these made us decide lets go to New York City. So what to do there? Then we came up with the Ball drop idea! How about going to the Ball Drop? Immediate thoughts were - the weather is bad, it will rain, we will not be able to stand 7-8 hrs, is it worth it, what if we feel cold, once we are in we cannot come out, how to manage nature calls, we came up with an answer for all questions as we were determined to make it (atleast one of us :)).

On Wednesday night we hit "Wal-Mart" and bought hand warmers, ponchos (not my idea), thermals, protein bars etc, read different websites and blogs for tips (were scary), and prepared for the grand day. I was not all that enthusiastic and went to bed. The Grand Day finally came - The end of the Year, I was all excited about the plan. We had to leave our home by 11:30am to make it to the ball drop, so I woke up early started cleaning my house (its just me), one of my friends went to work by 6:30am, the rest of us worked from home. By 10:30am my friend calls me and he was like "Can you check outside the window?” OMG! It was snowing so much. We had checked NYC weather but did not check our own place. We again huddled on the phone and since the determination level was high we decided to go with it.

As planned we left home by 11:30am waddled our way through the snow keeping the car on the road in a low speed drove to New Haven. When we reached it was about 1:30 pm. Our hearts were contemplating on if we will make it or not. We took a to-go lunch from "Subway" and hit the train @ 2:33pm - the earliest we could manage. It’s the slowest train journey of my life. First, I have never traveled in a train (not subway) in the US; Second I am used to trains in India (comparatively much faster). After a bumpy, hour and half drag it reached Grand Central, NYC. We jumped out, got ourselves dressed for the weather, bought final stuff and started walking to Time Square at 4:30pm. It was already crowded, the streets were busy, the Sun went down and we were worried if we will get anywhere close to the ball.

We had to walk down to the 52nd street after a few enquiries with the cops and I was already saying it’s alright, not so bad and all that - the general morale was somewhat low; crowd was everywhere trying to get to the square. Finally we entered - walking, running, screaming to the 47-48th st pen. We were glad to be atleast that close, overjoyed we looked at the clock and it was 5:30pm - 6.5hrs to go. The Ball was hoisted at 6. We barely heard the things going on in the stage, then saw the crowd around - there were a LOT of Germans, students, Indians, Chinese and people from around the globe. Initial chattering was there... 2 more count down happened and it was 8. We were all happy until - the ice rain. It starting slow and then to a down pour - our ponchos and rain proof jackets kept us safe to the envy of the crowd. Some of them even asked if we have one more of it. No bags allowed, so Sorry!

By 9:00 pm we were all exchanging chocolates, thoughts and interests, the crowd started getting familiar and we were moving forward with in the Pen. We then decided to go even further and jumped a Pen, and we loved it between 46 & 47, the stage sounds were much clearer and we got to talk to a different crowd. Slowly it was 10:30pm. The ice rain changed to snow, then normal showers and again ice rain. The weather got colder, my legs were freezing and lower back was aching. Another chocolate this time with a different group and some water kept the spirits up again. It was 11:00 pm :). The last hour of the year... in my mind I was replaying the important incidents of the year... my friends were all waiting for the last minute, Hey not so bad we are there and then it was 11:59... the last 1 min was so fast with the count down. I was screaming so loud every one was taking photos, there were proposals, shouting, hugging, kissing, a mad frenzy in the chaotic showers of confetti - the glorious moment lasted for about 10 mins, completely worth every minute of the wait. The other end of the road gleamed with fireworks, 2010 has BORN!!!! I could not believe I was there at the cross roads of the world (Time Square) on a Blue Moon New Year’s Day (even caught a glimpse of the moon hiding between clouds), once in a life time experience.

The thought filled me up until I got back home at 6:30 am and even now. Hope each one of you had a blasting New Year start, all geared up to face the 365 days of challenge ahead! Once again "Happy New Year!!!"

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm... I am shocked that you don't know Blue Moon (you should pack those instead)...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Yes I do know abt them Ωρίωνλφκε..But then were not allowed there legally ;)

    ReplyDelete